January Monthly Challenge
1. 'J' is January: Read a book that starts 'J' or whose author's first or last name starts with 'J'.
2. Happy Anniversary: Read a book that was published in January of any year or read a book of an RRRC member who joined in January of any year. The list for 2016 begins at the link, go further back for other years.
3. Featured Author Challenge - Jennifer Haymore: Read a book by this month's Featured Author, Jennifer Haymore, or by any author with her first or last name.
Fun Facts about Jennifer:
★Jennifer Haymore grew up in Hawaii where she surfed, sailed, raced bicycles and even learned to fly.
★ She published her first novel in 2008.
★ She primarily writes Historical Romance, but also some Contemporary Romance.
★ Jennifer lives in Southern California with her husband and three kids.
So you may read any book set in Hawaii or with the ocean on the cover. You can also read any book published in 2008, or that is shelved as Historical Romance. Or you can read a book that has children in it.
4. New Year's Day - January 1: Tried and true, but always fun. Read a new release or a new-to-you author.
5. Fruitcake Toss Day - January 3: Read a book with wacky characters or just a funny story.
6. Cuddle Up Day - January 6: Read a book with an embrace or kiss on the cover. Or read a book with a blanket on the cover for them to cuddle under!
7. Male Watcher's Day - January 8: Easy, peasy - read a book with a good looking man on the cover!
8. Friday to the 13th - January 13: Read a Paranormal Romance or any book that is scary or involves a mystery.
9. Punch the Clock Day - January 27th: Read a book that features working class characters, those who might 'punch a clock'.
10. Reader's Choice: Read any book of your choosing!
3. Cold-Hearted Rake - Lisa Kleypas (Avon - Nov 2015) (historical romance) - Jan 12
4. A Simple Hope - Rosalind Lauer (Ballantine - Mar 2014) (new to me author) - Jan 10
6. The Maverick's Holiday Surprise - Karen Rose Smith (HSE #2510 - Nov 2016) (embrace)- Jan 10
9. Fully Ignited - Shannon Stacey (Carina Press - Feb 2016) (firefighter) - Jan 23
10. Too Much Temptation - Lori Foster (Brava - Mar 2002) - Jan 16
February Monthly Challenge
1. 'F' is for February: Read a book that starts with 'F' or a book whose author's first or last name starts with 'F'.
2. Happy Anniversary: Read a book that was published in February of any year or read a book of an RRRC member who joined in February of any year. The list for 2016 begins at the link, go further back for other years.
3. Featured Author Challenge - Darynda Jones: Read a book by this month's Featured Author, Darynda Jones , or by any author with her first or last name.
Fun Facts about Darynda:
★Darynda Jones wrote an apocalyptic/sci-fi manuscript in high school, about a group of teens that resembled Van Halen.
★ She won a RWA Golden Heart for Best Paranormal Romance (2009) and a
RWA RITA for Best First Book (2012) for First Grave on the Right.
★ Death and the Girl Next Door is her first foray into the YA genre.
★ Jennifer lives in New Mexico with her husband and two boys.
OR you may read any book set in a school. You can also read any book published in 2009, 2012, OR that is shelved as YA, Sci-fi or Apocalyptic. OR you can read a book set in New Mexico.
4. February celebrates Black History Month - Read a book, either fiction or non-fiction, with an African-American main character OR read an Historical romance.
5. February 5 is Superbowl Sunday - Read a book with a main character who is an athlete (not necessarily football) OR a book with two words in the title that start with the same letter.
6. February 14 is Valentine's Day - Read a romance, any type OR read a book with a heart on the cover (show us the cover).
7. February 17 is Random Acts of Kindness Day - Read a book with a main character whose name starts with R, A, or K (tell us the name) OR read a book someone lent you, gifted you, or you treated yourself to (it's good to be kind to yourself, too!)
8. February 22 is traditionally George Washington's Birthday. Remember how he chopped down a cherry tree and couldn't tell a lie about it? Read a book with a tree on the cover (show us the cover) OR a book with a generally honest character.
9. February 27 is Polar Bear Day - Read a book set in a cold climate OR a book with a predominantly white cover (show us the cover).
10. Reader's Choice: Read any book of your choice.
4. Baby on the Oregon Trail - Lynna Banning (HH #1311 - Jan 2017) (historical) - Feb 7
7. Turquoise Guardian - Jenna Kernan (HI #1685 - Jan 2017) (Amber) - Feb 2
8. The Viscount Needs a Wife - Jo Beverley (Signet - Apr 2016) (tree) - Feb 8
9. Marry Me at Christmas - Susan Mallery (HQN - Oct 2015) (winter) - Feb 11